Our Grader Course will teach students how to plan a job and prepare the site for grader operations, conduct routine checks such as pre-start and shut down checks, operate a grader in compliance with site procedures, fit and remove grader attachments, relocate a grader between sites and lastly maintain a clean work area.
Full Course Details
The purpose of our grader operations course is to provide students with the skills and practical experience to carry out grader activities across many worksites in Australia.
At Shamrock, we have developed a comprehensive training plan for students in a small class setting, giving you the necessary ono-on-one time with our highly skilled trainers and assessors.
The training in its current form meets the criteria of the unit of competency requirements.
A grader is a heavy-duty machine primarily used for the construction and maintenance of roads. It has a long adjustable blade used to create a smooth and flat surface before the laying of asphalt. It also has a scarifying option where a layer of soil is completely removed, and a new layer is put in its place.
This course will teach students how to plan a job and prepare the site for grader operations, conduct routine checks such as pre-start and shut down checks, operate a grader in compliance with site procedures, fit and remove grader attachments, relocate a grader between sites and lastly maintain a clean work area.
All aspects of this course will be taught at our onsite training facilitythrough written and practical teachings. The course material will include, but is not limited to the following;
- WHS legislation, Australian standards and site policies and procedures
- Hazard identification and environmental issues
- Risk assessment and control implementation
- Routine operational checks
- Safe operating techniques of a grader
- Characteristics, capabilities and limitations of a grader and its attachments
- Maintenance and isolation procedures
- Relocation of a grader between worksites
- Earthwork calculations
- All forms of workplace communication
On successful completion of this course, students will have the ability to carry out the following;
- Identify and report workplace hazards such as underground services, weather conditions and uneven ground conditions
- Assess the risks and implement the necessary controls measures to ensure a safe working environment for all workers
- Conduct all grader operational checks including pre-start and shut down checks
- Operate a grader using various techniques and complete tasks such as scarifying, trimming sub-grade roads and cutting of batters
- Understand the characteristics and capabilities of grader attachments and have the ability to choose and fit the correct attachment for the specific job
- Maintain all plant and equipment and isolate if faulty according to site procedures
- Relocate a grader to a designated area complying with traffic requirements
- Recognise the different soil types and their compaction for grader operations
- Comply with all relevant health and safety regulations and site procedures
- Interpret site drawings and plan
- Communicate effectively with co-workers at all times and ensure proper use of communication equipment is in place such as two-way radios, signs and barriers
The successful applicant will be qualified to operate a grader on various construction sites across the country for the maintenance and upgrading of roads. Shamrock will then issue you with a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment and operator’s card.
Our highly qualified trainers and assessors will ensure you are confidently prepared for multiple employment roles within the construction and mining industries.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
Depending on experience our course is run over 2-5 days, face to face at our Training Facility or on site
Course payments can be made via debit card, credit card or direct deposit.
Full payment is required prior to the course start date.
Shamrock Training provides flexible delivery in all courses consisting of classroom based theory learning using a range of methodologies, onsite workplace training and scenario based practical knowledge training. Theory content is always supported by the provisions of practical skills training to enable you to transfer the information learnt in the classroom to a simulated working environment.
Shamrock Training Facility located in Brisbane
We can deliver on our client’s site (provided the required facility & equipment is available and compliant)
- Be able to read and write basic English
- Be physically capable of working outdoors, on your feet for up to 6 hours
- Provide photo identification
- Wear steel capped or safety boots on site; sun protection Hat, long sleeved shirt and pants – are also recommended.
Course Outcomes / AQF Certification
Upon successful completion a Statement of Attainment for the unit of competency completed will be issued.
See our student handbook for further information on refunds.
Hi-Vis Shirt, Long Pants, Enclosed Footwear, Hardhat, Gloves (all other PPE will be provided).
Why Shamrock Training Services?
- Extensive training offered by our certified instructors
- Classroom based training that includes live videos and demonstrations
- Practical training that meets logbook requirements
- Written and practical assessment tests
- Competency-based assessments
- A nationally recognised certificate
Shamrock Training Services is responsible for and committed to the on-going compliance for all training and assessment conducted. Please see the Student handbook for more information.