RIIWHS204D – Working safely at heights
Our Working at Heights Course is designed for workers operating in various industries who work at heights and / or depths. Participants will learn how to prepare for a working at heights task, select, inspect & use various fall arrest and fall restraint systems, basic emergency response procedures and information of maintenance and stowage of all equipment.
Full Course Details
Shamrock have developed a detailed training plan, providing students with the skills and knowledge necessary to undertake working at heights where there is a risk of falling, causing injury or death. Our nationally recognised course is vital for people working in the construction industry, carrying out general maintenance duties or any other environment where the risk of falling from one level to another is possible.
Working at heights can include working above ground level, working close to unprotected edges or work where you are liable to fall through an opening in a floor. Therefore, it is essential to have the appropriate health and safety training in place with a high emphasis on risk assessment and safety precautions.
This course will teach you how to carry out work safely at heights and in a compliant way, inspect the worksite prior to conducting work at heights, choose and fit the appropriate safety equipment, identify site policies and procedures, perform various tasks at height, maintain and store equipment and finally keep the worksite clean and dispose materials according to site instructions.
All aspects of this course will be taught by our highly knowledgeable trainers through written and practical teachings at our onsite training facility in Brisbane. The course content will include, but is not limited to the following;
- Health and safety legislation, Australian standards and site policies and procedures
- Hazard identification, risk assessment and control methods
- Conducting work at heights
- Characteristics and capabilities of safety equipment
- Working with tools at height
- Inspection of tools and safety equipment
- Personal protective equipment
- Communication in the workplace
- Maintenance and storing of safety equipment
- Housekeeping duties
The successful applicant will have the knowledge and capabilities to demonstrate the following;
- Identifying, monitor and report potential hazards in the workplace such as environmental issues and structural conditions
- Implement risk control measures and continue to monitor due to changing site conditions and work practices to avoid potential hazards from occurring
- Undertake work at heights according to safe work practices and health and safety regulations
- Identify the different types of safety equipment and understand their functions and capabilities
- Choose and fit the relevant safety equipment and fall anchor protection for the task being carried out and adjust when necessary
- Ensure safe access from ground level when carrying out work at heights
- Ensure all safety equipment is used in compliance with manufacturers specifications and requirements
- Maintain safety equipment and store according to site procedures
- Report defective equipment and isolate accordingly
- Effectively communicate with personnel in the workplace and ensure appropriate methods of communication are in place such as signs and barricades
This training is essential for anyone interested in working at heights. On successful completion of this course, Shamrock will issue you with a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment.
Our highly skilled and knowledgeable trainers at Shamrock will provide you with the support and guidance necessary to gain employment opportunities in many industries across Australia including the construction and mining industries.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
1 days face to face at our Training Facility or on the client’s site
Course payments can be made via debit card, credit card or direct deposit.
Full payment is required prior to the course start date.
Shamrock Training provides flexible delivery in all courses consisting of classroom based theory learning using a range of methodologies, onsite workplace training and scenario based practical knowledge training. Theory content is always supported by the provisions of practical skills training to enable you to transfer the information learnt in the classroom to a simulated working environment.
Shamrock Training Facility located in Brisbane
We can deliver on our client’s site (provided the required facility & equipment is available and compliant)
- Be able to read and write basic English
- Be physically capable of working outdoors, on your feet for up to 6 hours
- Provide photo identification
- Wear steel capped or safety boots on site; sun protection Hat, long sleeved shirt and pants – are also recommended.
Course Outcomes / AQF Certification
Upon successful completion a Statement of Attainment for the unit of competency completed will be issued.
See our student handbook for further information on refunds.
Hi-Vis Shirt, Long Pants, Enclosed Footwear, Hardhat, Gloves (all other PPE will be provided).
Why Shamrock Training Services?
- Extensive training offered by our certified instructors
- Classroom based training that includes live videos and demonstrations
- Practical training that meets logbook requirements
- Written and practical assessment tests
- Competency-based assessments
- A nationally recognised certificate
Shamrock Training Services is responsible for and committed to the on-going compliance for all training and assessment conducted. Please see the Student handbook for more information.