TLILIC0005 – Licence to operate boom type Elevated Work Platform (boom length 11m or more)
In order to operate or act as standby to a mobile boom type elevated work platform (EWP) with a boom length over 11m you must complete the EWP (boom length 11m or more) course. This course is designed to give you formal training on how to inspect, maintain, prepare for operations, operate, direct / spot and then shut down and store the EWP (boom length 11m or more). It is suitable for new and existing workers and offers extensive training from start to finish.
Full Course Details
Shamrock have developed a comprehensive training plan for students interested in completing an EWP course. This course is based on the Safe Work Australia’s National Standard for Licensing Persons conducting high risk work.
The training in its current form, meets the criteria stated in the state and territory licencing and unit of competency requirements.
An elevated work platform (EWP) can be a telescopic, hinged or an articulated mechanical device used to support a platform where workers, materials and equipment may be raised. Elevated work platforms are mainly used on construction sites for temporary access to areas, generally at height.
This course will teach you how to competently plan and prepare a job for EWP operations, conduct routine operational checks, set up and operate a boom-type elevated work platform in various working conditions, maintain EWP and associated attachments and finally shut down and secure the EWP.
All aspects of this course will be taught by our highly knowledgeable trainers through written and practical teachings at our on-site training facility in Brisbane. The course material will include, but is not limited to the following;
- WHS/OHS legislation, Australian standards and site policies and procedures
- Hazard identification, environmental issues and control measures
- Routine operational checks
- Safe operating techniques of an elevated work platform
- Safety equipment and personal protective equipment
- Maintenance and isolation procedures
- Characteristics and capabilities of an elevated work platform
- Load estimation
- Communication in the workplace
- Ground conditions and soil types
- Emergency procedures
On successful completion of this course, applicants will have the ability to demonstrate the following;
- Identify potential hazards including overhead powerlines, ground conditions, traffic such as pedestrians and other vehicles and insufficient lighting
- Implement the necessary risk control measures using the hierarchy of control to avoid potential hazards from reoccurring
- Conduct operational checks of an elevated work platform including pre-starts, base control checks and shut down checks and ensure associated equipment is checked also
- Record all pre-start checks and faults in the EWP’s logbook
- Operate and manoeuvre an EWP safely such as raising and lowering the boom, telescoping in and out and slewing
- Assess ground conditions such as backfilled ground and uneven surfaces prior to setting up an EWP
- Inspect and fit the appropriate safety equipment including lanyards, harnesses and energy absorbers
- Maintain plant and equipment and isolate if faulty according to site procedures
- Effectively communicate with workplace personnel and ensure communication methods such as two-way radios, hand signals and signage are adhered to
- Comply with health and safety legislation, safe work practices and site policies and procedures
- Report and document all information relevant to the operations of an elevated work platform
On successful completion of this course, you will be issued with a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment for the unit of competency, where you will be eligible to apply for the HRWL licence through Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ)
Our highly skilled and flexible trainers at Shamrock will ensure you are confident in your abilities to gain future employment in the construction and manufacturing industries and beyond.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
3 days face to face at our Training Facility or on the client’s site
Course payments can be made via debit card, credit card or direct deposit. Payment plans are available with Certegy Ezi-pay (pre-approval required prior to course start date).
Full payment is required prior to the course assessment date.
Shamrock Training provides flexible delivery in all courses consisting of classroom based theory learning using a range of methodologies, onsite workplace training and scenario based practical knowledge training. Theory content is always supported by the provisions of practical skills training to enable you to transfer the information learnt in the classroom to a simulated working environment.
Shamrock Training Facility located in Brisbane.
We can deliver on our client’s site (provided the required facility & equipment is available and compliant)
- Be able to read and write basic English (Workplace Health and Safety requirement)
- Be physically capable of working outdoors, on your feet for up to 6 hours
- Minimum 18 years of age (Workplace Health and Safety requirement)
- Provide three forms of identification (including current photo ID)
- Wear steel capped or safety boots on site; sun protection Hat, long sleeved shirt and pants – are also recommended.
Course Outcomes / AQF Certification
Upon successful completion a Statement of Attainment for the unit of competency completed will be issued.
Applicants over 18 years old are only eligible to apply for a Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ) Licence upon successful completion of the final theory, calculations and practical assessment.
When applying for a High Risk Work Licence from Work Health and Safety Queensland, applicants must comply with the Work Health and Safety Queensland Evidence of Identity criteria.
Shamrock training does offer RPL however, students are required to undertake formal assessment in accordance with WHSQ requirements.
See our student handbook for further information on refunds.
Hi-Vis Shirt, Long Pants, Enclosed Footwear, Hardhat, Gloves (all other PPE will be provided).
Why Shamrock Training Services?
- Extensive training offered by our certified instructors
- Classroom based training that includes live videos and demonstrations
- Practical training that meets logbook requirements
- Written and practical assessment tests
- Competency-based assessments
- A nationally recognised certificate
Shamrock Training Services is responsible for and committed to the on-going compliance for all training and assessment conducted. Please see the Student handbook for more information.