Our Scraper Course will give you the skills to plan and prepare a job for scraper activities, carry out routine operational checks, safely operate a scraper across many different terrains, work alongside other operators during coupling, relocate the scraper between worksites and finally maintain a clear and hazard free work area.
Full Course Details
Shamrock have developed a detailed training plan for our scraper operations course, providing students with the skills and knowledge necessary to carry out scraper activities across many worksites in Australia.
Our highly knowledgeable trainers and assessors will guide and support you through each aspect of the training. As the classes are small, and in some cases one-on-one, you will have adequate time to prepare and be site-ready for all forms of scraper activities.
The training in its current form meets the criteria of the unit of competency requirements.
A scraper is a large heavy-duty machine, primarily used in the construction and mining industries for the removal of gravel and any other materials from the grounds surface. It consists of a vertically moveable hopper with a sharp horizontal blade positioned to the rear, where the blade scrapes up the materials and places them in the hopper. Once the hopper is full, the materials are hauled away for dumping.
This training will give students the skills to plan and prepare a job for scraper activities, carry out routine operational checks, safely operate a scraper across many different terrains, work alongside other operators during coupling, relocate the scraper between worksites and finally maintain a clear and hazard free work area.
All aspects of this course will be taught by our highly competent trainers through written and practical teachingsat our onsite training facility in Brisbane. The course content will include, but is not limited to the following;
- WHS legislation, Australian standards and site policies and procedures
- Hazard identification, environmental issues and control management
- Safe operating techniques of a scraper
- Routine before and after operational checks
- Capabilities and limitations of plant and equipment
- Coupling with other scraper operators
- Maintenance duties and isolation procedures
- Relocation of a scraper
- Personal protective equipment and emergency procedures
- Documentation regarding all scraper activities
- Earthwork calculations
- All forms of communication in the workplace
The successful candidate will be competent in carrying out the following;
- Identify and report potential hazards such as ground stability, weather conditions and traffic
- Monitor hazards during scraper activities and implement safe work practices
- Conduct routine operational checks before and after scraper operations
- Complete scraper tasks such as stripping materials to precise depths, stockpiling and spreading of materials
- Understand the capabilities and limitations of a scraper and its attachments
- Choose the appropriate attachment for the specific task in hand
- Carry out maintenance and diagnostics on plant and equipment
- Detect faults, tag equipment and isolate according to site procedures
- Prepare the scraper for relocation to a designated area
- Estimate safe working loads to ensure safe and efficient removal of unnecessary materials
- Communicate effectively with all workplace personnel, specifically other scraper operators during coupling
- Comply with all health and safety legislation relevant to scraper operations
On successful completion of this training, you will be issue you with a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment for scraper operations permitting you to work on all jobsites across Australia.
Shamrock will ensure you are confidently prepared for all employment opportunities that may arise specifically within the construction and mining industries.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
Depending on experience our course is run over 2-5 days, face to face at our Training Facility or on site
Course payments can be made via debit card, credit card or direct deposit.
Full payment is required prior to the course start date.
Shamrock Training provides flexible delivery in all courses consisting of classroom based theory learning using a range of methodologies, onsite workplace training and scenario based practical knowledge training. Theory content is always supported by the provisions of practical skills training to enable you to transfer the information learnt in the classroom to a simulated working environment.
Shamrock Training Facility located in Brisbane
We can deliver on our client’s site (provided the required facility & equipment is available and compliant)
- Be able to read and write basic English
- Be physically capable of working outdoors, on your feet for up to 6 hours
- Provide photo identification
- Wear steel capped or safety boots on site; sun protection Hat, long sleeved shirt and pants – are also recommended.
Course Outcomes / AQF Certification
Upon successful completion a Statement of Attainment for the unit of competency completed will be issued.
See our student handbook for further information on refunds.
Hi-Vis Shirt, Long Pants, Enclosed Footwear, Hardhat, Gloves (all other PPE will be provided).
Why Shamrock Training Services?
- Extensive training offered by our certified instructors
- Classroom based training that includes live videos and demonstrations
- Practical training that meets logbook requirements
- Written and practical assessment tests
- Competency-based assessments
- A nationally recognised certificate
Shamrock Training Services is responsible for and committed to the on-going compliance for all training and assessment conducted. Please see the Student handbook for more information.