Our Yellow Card Course will give students the skills and practical experience to safely operate a boom type elevated work platform (EWP) including a vertical lift, a scissor lift, a trailer/truck mounted boom lift or boom lifts under 11m.
Full Course Details
Our yellow card training at Shamrock will give students the skills and practical experience to safely operate a boom type elevated work platform (EWP) including a vertical lift, a scissor lift, a trailer/truck mounted boom lift or boom lifts under 11m.
An elevated work platform is a mechanical device that can be hinged, telescopic or articulated and is used to move workers, materials and equipment to heights that are otherwise hard to reach. There are two main types of elevated work platforms, a boom type EWP that can be telescoped or slewed where the platform is supported by a hinged member and a scissor type EWP where the platform can only be moved up and down.
This course will teach you how to plan and prepare a job for boom type elevated work platform operations of under 11 metres, carry out routine operational checks, operate the various EWP’s in compliance with safety legislation, conduct maintenance checks on plant, equipment and tools, prepare the EWP for relocation and finally maintain a clear work environment.
All components of this course will be taught by our highly competent trainers through written and practical teachings at our training facility in Brisbane. The course material will include, but is not limited to the following;
- Hazard identification and control implementation
- Health and safety legislation and relevant site documentation
- Routine operational checks
- Operating and manoeuvring an EWP under 11 metres
- Securing and relocation of an EWP
- Personal Protective Equipment and emergency procedures
- Ground conditions and structure surfaces
- Logbook record keeping
- Manufacturers specifications and requirements
The successful applicant will have the ability to carry out the following;
- Identify and monitor potential workplace hazards such as overhead crushes, powerlines and weather conditions
- Assess the risks and implement the necessary control measures according to site policies and procedures
- Carry out before and after operational checks of the EWP and associated equipment
- Operate a boom type EWP in many different work conditions
- Recognise and understand the various EWP safety devices such as tilt and load-sensing alarms, deadman triggers and cut-out sensors
- Carry out work at heights using the appropriate safety equipment
- Ensure emergency procedures are in place in the event of a fall
- Recognise the different types of emergency lowering devices on EWP’s such as bleed valves, hand operated pumps and hydraulic accumulators and know how to use them in the event of an emergency
- Record all operational checks and faults in the EWP’s logbook
- Comply with all relevant health and safety legislation and site policies and procedures
The successful applicant will have the skills and competency to operate a boom type elevated work platform under 11 meters and a scissor lift across many worksites in Australia. Shamrock will issue you with a Yellow Card certification through the Elevating Work Platform Association (EWPA)
The minimum age to operate an EWP under 11 meters is 14 years and 9 months where the applicant will be issued with a “Restricted Yellow Card”. This will allow you to operate under the direct supervision of an unrestricted Yellow Card holder within the same EWP class.
Our trainers and assessors at Shamrock will ensure you have completed the extensive training, necessary to gain future employment in many industries including the construction and manufacturing industries.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
1 day course, face to face at our Training Facility or on site
Course payments can be made via debit card, credit card or direct deposit.
Full payment is required prior to the course start date.
Shamrock Training provides flexible delivery in all courses consisting of classroom based theory learning using a range of methodologies, onsite workplace training and scenario based practical knowledge training. Theory content is always supported by the provisions of practical skills training to enable you to transfer the information learnt in the classroom to a simulated working environment.
Shamrock Training Facility located in Brisbane
We can deliver on our client’s site (provided the required facility & equipment is available and compliant)
- Be able to read and write basic English
- Be physically capable of working outdoors, on your feet for up to 6 hours
- Provide photo identification
- Wear steel capped or safety boots on site; sun protection Hat, long sleeved shirt and pants – are also recommended.
Course Outcomes / AQF Certification
Upon successful completion a Statement of Attainment for the unit of competency completed will be issued.
See our student handbook for further information on refunds.
Hi-Vis Shirt, Long Pants, Enclosed Footwear, Hardhat, Gloves (all other PPE will be provided).
Why Shamrock Training Services?
- Extensive training offered by our certified instructors
- Classroom based training that includes live videos and demonstrations
- Practical training that meets logbook requirements
- Written and practical assessment tests
- Competency-based assessments
- A nationally recognised certificate
Shamrock Training Services is responsible for and committed to the on-going compliance for all training and assessment conducted. Please see the Student handbook for more information.